Senior Citizen age varies from place to place, based on local laws, but for the most part once you can say you are officially over 60, the discounts just start rolling in.
This website is dedicated to reduced tuiton or even free tuition for seniors looking to get back in school/college. Reduced education costs are just one of many benefits to senior citizens.
Things to Remember
- Ask for senior discounts, almost all places have them but usually do not advertise them
- Many hotels offer a senior discount
- Retail stores like, Banana Republic and Kohls offer hidden senior discounts
- Senior Discounts at many restaurants might be obvious, but they usually won't advertise it
- Boston Market, Denny's, Applebees and Outback all have senior discounts
- Many grocery stores have incentives for senior citizens
- THE MOVIES (check with your local theatre)
- Amusement parks also generally have a senior rate
- Public transportation often offers cheaper rates for the elderly
- Many telephone service providers offer a senior discount, AT&T and Verizon have such offers
- Check with AARP.ORG for many offers
- Continued Education is proven to reduce cognitive impairment among older people. Many colleges offer free or reduced tuition/classes for senior citizens.
For now the retirement age is 65 years old. There are ways to recieve a reduced retirement at age 62 and the near future retirement age will probably be pushed to around 67. Generally at age 65, one can start to collect social security benefits, which are based off of many factors including your income through your working years, cost of living factors and factors such as being a veteran or other disabilities. To find out more go to https://www.ssa.gov/
More Senior Benefits
Medicare RX Extra Help Form
Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program Form
Guide to Free or Reduced Tuition for Seniors. Find your state
Senior Centers (hidden benefits) MORE INFO
Find Benefits for your State
BenefitsCheckup.org is on of the best places to find discounts and services in your area.
It Pays to be a Senior
A book all about discounts, benefits, deals and giveaways for people over 50.
It Pays to Be a Senior (1,147 Incredible Discounts, Benefits, Sweet Deals, and Giveaways for Folks Over 50) has very good information for seniors. Most of the information can be found elsewhere, but the problem with that is, you would spend days searching different websites for the all the information compiled in this book. (4/5) stars.
Do your research
Take the time to check out all the links provided and search your area to maximize the cost savings of being over 60. It is ashamed how many resources get overlooked and how much savings are often left on the table. Happy Hunting!
Look for Reading Glasses at Cross.com!